Terms & Conditions of Entry: The Glover Prize 2022
ABOUT THE GLOVER PRIZE
- The John Glover Art Prize (Glover Prize) is an award for a landscape painting of Tasmania awarded by The John Glover Society Inc.
- Entry is open to local, interstate and international artists.
- The winner receives $50,000 plus a bronze maquette of colonial artist John Glover (1767– 1849) by Peter Corlett valued at $5,000.
- All other exhibited entries are eligible for the People’s Choice Award of $3,000, the Children’s Choice Award of $500 and the Hanger’s Choice Award of $500.
- Two “Highly Commended” bronze commemorative medallions designed by artist Jennifer Mann will be awarded by the judges.
- The Glover Prize is acquisitive; the People’s Choice Award is non-acquisitive.
- The exhibition of finalists’ paintings is held at the Falls Park Pavilion in Evandale, Tasmania.
- The entered work must be a titled landscape painting of Tasmania, and does not have to have been painted in Tasmania. The term ‘landscape’ is to be understood broadly and is not intended as a limitation on approach, for example, seascapes and cityscapes are acceptable within the definition.
- The term ‘painting’ is to be understood broadly. Any two-dimensional medium (excluding photography and film) is acceptable.
- All artworks entered by the Artist must be the original work and concept of the Artist. A third party may not enter any works on behalf of an Artist.
- The entered work must be new (completed within the previous 12 months) and be the absolute property of the Artist, and must not have been shown previously or entered in any other competition.
- The finished artwork, including the frame, must be no larger than 190cm (height) x 190cm (width).
- An Artist may enter several artworks, but each entry must be accompanied by a separate entry form and fee with all relevant support material.
ENTERING THE GLOVER PRIZE
- Entry is open to artists from anywhere in the world.
- All entries are to be made electronically when entries open.
- Entries open: 10.00am (AEST), Monday 2 August, 2021.
- Entries close: 6.00 pm (AEST), Friday 28 January, 2022. No late or incomplete entries will be accepted.
- Entry in the Prize is through pre-selection from digital images of each artwork entered.
- An entry shall impose an obligation upon the Artist to submit the entered work for exhibition if selected.
- Completed Online Entry Form (and agreement to these Terms and Conditions of Entry)
- A non-refundable administration fee of AUD$35.00 (GST-free) per entry
- A high resolution image of the artwork to be entered in JPEG or TIFF (maximum file size 5MB). File to follow the naming convention: lastname_firstname_title
- An Artist statement related to the entry (no more than 200 words)
- An Artist’s curriculum vitae (no longer that ONE (1) A4 page)
Please note: Electronic submission is the only acceptable form of entry for the The Glover Prize 2022.
ACCEPTANCE AND EXHIBITION
- If an Artist’s entry is selected for exhibition and more than one work has been submitted by the Artist, only one of the Artist’s works will be selected for exhibition.
- The cost of freight and insurance for works selected for exhibition will be the responsibility of the Artist. The John Glover Society Inc. will not be responsible for any loss or damage whatsoever, however caused, to any work whilst in the Society’s custody. Each Artist is and shall be responsible for maintaining insurance cover.
- Artists whose works are selected for exhibition must allow their work to be reproduced for promotional, review and educational purposes and/or the future promotion of the John Glover Society Inc. and entry is and shall be deemed authorisation by the Artist to the Society.
- Artists (and their Agents) who are selected as finalists must agree not display any images of the selected work/s on Social Media platforms (Facebook, Instragram, Twitter etc.) prior to the announcement of the winner on Friday 11th March 2022.
- All selected works of art must be suitably framed. A stretched canvas is considered framed. Flat D-rings must be placed at back of the work 10cm down from top of frame. Any other hooks or wire shall be removed, as they may damage other Artists’ works. Wet paintings will not be accepted. Deviations from these requirements must be approved by The John Glover Society Inc.
- All works selected for exhibition and exhibited shall be for sale. The sale price indicated in the entry form shall apply and shall remain fixed for the duration of the exhibition.
- Works selected for exhibition will be as chosen by a panel of judges appointed by The John Glover Society Inc. Judges will be eminently qualified to judge works of art and will not be members of The John Glover Society Inc. or the exhibition curator. Works to be exhibited will be selected from the digital images submitted.
- The exhibition selection panel of judges will choose the prize-winning work from those works selected for exhibition. The judges’ decision will be final and correspondence will not be entered into.
- The list of selected Artists will be published on the website www.johnglover.com.au by Friday 11th February 2022. Selected Artists will also be notified by email.
- Works selected for exhibition for The Glover Prize must be forwarded by the Artist to be received by 5:00pm, Friday 4 March 2022.
- Works must be forwarded to: Evandale Antiques, 6 Russell Street, Evandale Tasmania, for delivery between the hours of 10.00am and 5.00pm.
- Arrangement for delivery can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephoning James Abbott 0418 130 522 or Peter Woof 0418 134 511.
- The John Glover Society Inc. will not exhibit any work forwarded for exhibition which is not the submitted entry.
RECEIPT AND DESPATCH
If consigning artwork via post or carrier, prepaid return freight vouchers must be included with the artwork at the time of receipt. If the artwork is sold, the prepaid voucher will be returned to the Artist. No payment whatsoever will be made by the John Glover Society Inc. for freight or other charges incurred in the delivery or return of entries.
COMMISSION AND PAYMENT
The John Glover Society Inc. shall be entitled to and will retain 30% commission on all works sold. The net sale proceeds will be paid to the Artist within thirty-five (35) days of sale, provided settlement has been made in accordance with the conditions of sale. Payment will be made by cheque in Australian dollars.
The John Glover Society Inc. will exercise all reasonable care in handling works submitted but will not be responsible for loss or damage to any work whilst in the custody of The John Glover Society Inc. or the Society’s agents. Artists are recommended to insure their work against loss or damage. Artists are responsible for their own transit insurance.
RETURN OF WORKS
After the close of the exhibition all works not sold can be collected from the Falls Park Pavilion on the last exhibition day, Sunday 20 March 2022 after 4.00pm. After that date, collection is from Evandale Antiques, 6 Russell Street, Evandale between 10.00am to 5.00pm, seven days per week. Arrangements can be made for collection by emailing email@example.com or telephoning James Abbott on 0418 130 522 or Peter Woof on 0418 134 511 unless arrangements have been made for return by pre-paid freight vouchers.
Works will be returned in the original packing and it is the responsibility of the Artist to ensure the packing material is sufficient for the return transportation of the work.
Where arrangements have not been made for collection or return freight by the due date, the Society reserves the right to sell or otherwise dispose of the work on the expiration of thirty (30) days from the last exhibition day.