Celebrating the legacy of John Glover, The John Glover Art Prize (Glover Prize) has become one of Australia’s most significant awards for landscape painting, open to artists from anywhere in the world.
It is awarded annually by The John Glover Society Inc. for the work judged the best contemporary landscape painting of Tasmania.
Landscape painting is defined in its broadest sense. The aim is to stimulate conversations about the meaning and possibilities expressed in the words landscape, painting and Tasmania.
The winner receives $50,000 plus a bronze maquette of colonial artist John Glover, designed by Peter Corlett and valued at $5000.
The Glover Prize is acquisitive, selected from around 40 works chosen by a panel of eminent judges. All other exhibitied entries are eligible for the (non-acquisitive) People’s Choice Award of $3000, the Children’s Choice Award of $500 and the Hanger’s Choice Award of $500.
The exhibition of finalists’ paintings is held over the March long-weekend in the historic Falls Park pavilion in Evandale, a village on the beautiful northern plains of Tasmania.
2023 Glover Prize Key Dates:
- Monday 1 August 2022 – Entries Open at 10.00am (AEST)
- Friday 27 January 2023 – Entries Close at 6.00pm (AEST)
- Friday 10 February 2023 – Finalists announced online (Selected artists also notified by email)
- Friday 10 March 2023 – Official opening & Glover Prize winner announced
- Saturday 11 – Sunday 19 March 2023 – Exhibition open to the public. Monday – Saturday: 10:00am – 4:00pm, Sundays: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sunday 19 March 2023 – People’s Choice & Children’s Choice Awards announced
- Wednesday 15 – Friday 17 March 2023 – College Students Days
Congratulations to the Finalists from 2022 Glover Prize:
All entry prices include a printed catalogue.
The 2023 Glover Prize Exhibition is open to the public Saturday 11 March through to Sunday 19 March 2023.
Monday – Saturday
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.