Celebrating the legacy of John Glover, The John Glover Art Prize (Glover Prize) has become one of Australia’s most significant awards for landscape painting, open to artists from anywhere in the world.
It is awarded annually by The John Glover Society Inc. for the work judged the best contemporary landscape painting of Tasmania.
Landscape painting is defined in its broadest sense. The aim is to stimulate conversations about the meaning and possibilities expressed in the words landscape, painting and Tasmania.
The winner receives $75,000 plus a bronze maquette of colonial artist John Glover, designed by Peter Corlett and valued at $5000.
The Glover Prize is acquisitive, selected from around 40 works chosen by a panel of eminent judges. All other exhibitied entries are eligible for the (non-acquisitive) People’s Choice Award of $3000, the Children’s Choice Award of $500 and the Hanger’s Choice Award of $500.
The exhibition of finalists’ paintings is held over the March long-weekend in the historic Falls Park pavilion in Evandale, a village on the beautiful northern plains of Tasmania.
2024 Glover Prize Key Dates:
- Monday 31 July 2023 – Entries Open at 10.00am (AEST)
- Friday 26 January 2024 – Entries Close at 6.00pm (AEST)
- Friday 9 February 2024 – Finalists announced online (Selected artists also notified by email)
- Friday 8 March 2024 – Official opening & Glover Prize winner announced
- Saturday 9 – Sunday 17 March 2024 – Exhibition open to the public. Monday – Saturday: 10:00am – 4:00pm, Sundays: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm
- Sunday 17 March 2024 – People’s Choice & Children’s Choice Awards announced
- Wednesday 13 – Friday 15 March 2024 – College Students Days
All entry prices include a printed catalogue.
The 2024 Glover Prize Exhibition is open to the public Saturday 9 March through to Sunday 17 March 2024.
Monday – Saturday
10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
9 a.m. – 4 p.m.